Saturday, March 04, 2006

In my collection of religious books, I have four pamphlets, four different versions of the devotional, The Stations of the Cross.

I brought all four booklets with me last night because I did not know which version would be prayed. As it turned out, none of the above, but a new one, new to me at least: the Way of the Cross with St. Paul.

I was so moved by this Scriptural version that I swiped the booklet - yes, I was moved to steal, from the church, no less. I am a coveter of books, of religious books. For my penance, I have been frustrated in my attempt to find the booklet online. If my conscience really gets to me, I may photocopy it and return the original next week. I'm pretty sure that Fr. Mike saw me take it.

The work depicts Paul's life as an imitation of Christ in a rhythm reminiscent of more traditional Stations. All of the Scripture proclaimed during the service last night was taken from Paul's epistles and Luke's Acts. I found myself nodding during the readings, "Yes, the Philippians hymn. Yes, the Colossians hymn. Ah, oh, that's from Romans and that's from Ephesians" and I was starting to get a little pleased that I knew so much and began to wonder whether the other lugs present were as enlightened as I in recognizing the source, by chapter and verse.

Fortunately, this conceit was fleeting and the beauty of the texts and of the accompanying hymns made me forget about myself altogether. And I was distracted by Fr. Mike's loud singing from the back of the church because he was there, but he was not leading us. Stations is a devotion that is usually conducted by the laity, like the rosary, and clergy participate.

But, one moment stood out among the rest. The lector read Romans 8:38-39 -- For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. And at the conclusion of the reading, a little girl in the front row with her family exclaimed loud enough for the entire church to hear, "Amen!" And we all agreed in our hearts with her.

I managed to learn something, yes, even me. The reading from Acts 27:35 floored me: When Paul said this, he took bread, gave thanks to God in front of them all, broke it, and began to eat. The biblical footnote explains that the words recall the traditional language of the celebration of the Eucharist. Paul, that priest! I am always finding more and more things to like about him.

No comments: