Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Rainy, windy Monday was spent at Ocean Grove. A perfect beach day as far as I was concerned.

Jeff said that we used to go to Ocean Grove when we lived in Tinton Falls. I don't remember that. But, then, we didn't go to the beach much in those days because we worked all the time. All the time.

The people with me set the course along Route 33. Eh, ok. That's not how I get to the Shore but my GPS said the same.

After a moment of indecision in Tinton Falls, she suddenly changed course and took Route 66. She called to explain that her GPS pointed her that way. If she has RT traffic updates, I could understand because Route 33 in Neptune is under construction, woefully under construction. But, I warned her that Route 66 goes to Asbury Park.

"Well, if it looks alright, we can go there instead."

If? If? It's Asbury Park! There's no "if" about it. But I held my tongue because they are trying to rejuvenate that historic shore community. We could be a part of the solution ...

Passed Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, and the soup kitchen where I used to volunteer on Sat. mornings, and the Salvation Army store where I used to drop off my used clothing. By the time we got to Main Street (Route 71), my companion had seen enough to send her south, to Ocean Grove. Right.

Now, Ocean Grove, if you aren't familiar, is known for its summer camp meeting. Even when I lived over that way, I never attended any of the events. It's Methodist ... I got no problem with Methodist ... some of my best friends are Methodist ... the schedule is just too confusing to me. But one of these summers I'll figure it out and see what all the fuss is about.

No comments: