Monday, January 17, 2011

I finished Cavins's book.

Picking up the narrative from my earlier post, Cavins's choice was between taking a radio show job or attending Franciscan University in Steubenville for an M.Div. He took the latter which resulted in more professional connections and extensive Catholic fellowship.

My brother went to Steubenville briefly in the early 90's. I visited him there at least once.1 Rick's impression was that some well-intentioned students were actually brainwashed. He felt like he was being pressured to join some cult. It was the reason he left for SUNY Brockport. Maybe it's toned down some since. My impression from his stories and from being on campus is that the college is charismatic, a movement that my family has no experience with. But Steubenville's spirituality suited Cavins fine and he found his way into EWTN from FUS.

I was unfamiliar with the story of Mother Angelica's miraculous healing. It's hard to believe but I don't see how it could have been faked. The story might be less mysterious if she would identify the guest who prayed with her. But the good health was short-lived because within a few years she suffered her first stroke.

So the highlight of the book for me was the middle part that took place in southwestern Ohio. Otherwise, the story dragged and was pretty dull.

1 the exterior images in this youtube video look familiar to me.

No comments: