Sunday, March 03, 2013

I've been sick the past week and slept record amounts on Friday. You know how it is when you sleep a ton: dreams and reality mingle. I've largely ignored the papal resignation, or so I thought. But my subconscious couldn't let it go. I dreamed I was in an intimate classroom setting with a handful of other students. A religious sister was reciting for us some Greek poetry - don't ask me what, I don't know any poetry in Greek - and she began singing the stanzas in a wonderful tune. When she finished, I thought with appreciation, "Yes, that's exactly how it was meant to be sung."

While this was happening, Benedict joined the classroom, without entourage or commotion. It wasn't that he was expected, just everyone was being "cool" about his joining us. He was stately, but not towering. Staunchly quiet. He was there to appreciate the sister's presentation of Greek verse as well and a mutual respect trumped everything else.

The class recessed for a short break and I tried really hard to capture a picture on my phone of me with Benedict to post to Facebook. I would ask his permission only as a last resort. But the dream moved on without any success in that regard.

Ultimately, the sense the dream gave me was that Benedict would be closer to the church in retirement than he had been as its leader. Is that possible? We'll see, but that's the conclusion I came to when I woke up.

No comments: