Friday, November 27, 2009

I just read Fr. Dietzen's column in the paper.

Here's the reader's question:
I recently received a New International Version New Testament Bible as a gift. When I stopped at a bookstore to exchange it for a Catholic Bible, I was assured this is a “universal” Bible. The clerk said there is no longer a difference in the New Testament, only in the Old.

I was not aware there is a Bible approved by Catholics and Protestants. Please clarify this. I know there is a Catholic version of the NIV. Doesn’t it differ from the Protestant translation? (Nebraska)
I wasn't aware of a difference in the New Testament unless one argues parts of books? (Mk. 16:9-20; Lk. 22:43-44; John 7:53-8:11. Catholic Encyc.)

Neither was I aware of a Catholic version of the NIV, but this preacher is certain that the NIV is Catholic. I haven't viewed the entire clip, so caveat lector.

I found The Psalms but nothing else. An NIV translation of the deuterocanonicals doesn't appear to be available, although someone here says there is "a Catholic version of the NIV NT only." I haven't found one.

Clearly, Fr. Dietzen has a different translation in mind, maybe the REB, but the rest of his answer is worth reading.

4 comments:

Matt said...

The only bible I am aware of off the top of my head that doesn't differ in either the OT or NT and is approved by Cathilics and Protestants (save for the deuterocanonical books in the CE) is the NRSV.

In the preface to the NRSV it says that no changes were required in the Catholic edition because Catholic and Protestant scholars worked together in the translation...I also think some Orthodox and Jews were there too and they all remain on the RSV tranlastion committee.

The NRSV reads pretty well too. I have come to enjoy it at times when I want some thing accurate but not terribly technical.

Renee said...

I believe there are two English translations approved for use at Mass - New American Bible (NAB) and now I can't find the other one.

The Jerusalem Bible is the most widely used outside the US.

Renee said...

I was mistaken - found this on the USCCB website:
"Since May 19, 2002, the revised Lectionary, based on the New American Bible is the only English-language Lectionary that may be used at Mass in the dioceses of the United States,"

But of course that doesn't mean there aren't other Catholic Bibles but this is the only one used at Mass.

And I think you also said the one you were given was NT only; to me that's a partial Bible... why not have the entire Bible available when you need it?

KWIM?

Moonshadow said...

And I think you also said the one you were given was NT only; to me that's a partial Bible... why not have the entire Bible available when you need it? KWIM?

Sure, Renee, I know what you mean.

But Fr. Dietzen's advice is still good, if unoriginal:

"It’s largely true, as someone said, that the best Bible is the one you read."

Even a partial Bible.