Monday, June 08, 2009

Field Day 2009




Because of vision therapy this morning, I missed two and a half hours of this year's field day. But I saw the ruins remains of it: dozens of cracked eggs on the tennis court, buckets of shaving cream near the gardening shed.

Lunch was winding down when Ella and I arrived. But there was plenty of hot food left and I grabbed two delicious hot dogs, one for me and one for Ella. She wanted only Sun Chips until the kids got into dessert, then she put down the chips and asked for ice cream. I heard her asking the kids around her, "Ca I ha'some?" naively expecting Kenny's classmates to (1) understand her and (2) serve her. I sent Tim, who wasn't having any, to get her something. He brought back an ice cream sandwich.

The stormy weather was rolling in so the kids were quickly split across the two huge inflatables. At some point the groups switched. The younger kids went in as it began sprinkling. When everyone had had a chance, everyone went in.

Then they did the Muscular Dystrophy Hop-A-Thon in the gym. A kindergartner was overheard saying, "This is the BEST Field Day ever!" Since it's only his second one ever, it's likely a fair statement!

No comments: