Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I had an unique thought last night while watching The Journey Home on location in Sweden. Since I usually have trouble with the foreign accents of the guests, I don't often sit through that episode, on the third week of every month. But these fellows were intelligible ... or maybe I was just desperate to watch something.

Sweden seemed to me like a weird setting because it isn't predominately a Catholic country. Why would they film there?

Why would they film there?

The roundtable members were all converts from the state Lutheran church whose adherents seem very nominal. So, at least they were true to their format in finding some converts there.

I've noticed that critics of the Catholic Church attempt to portray it as particular, the "church of Rome." Protestants are familiar with churches tied to a specific location: LCMS, PCA, AMiA, Willow Creek, Mars Hill Church.1 And why not, as this is the NT model as well.

But "the stone ... became a great mountain and filled the whole earth."

My hunch is that these programs are intended to highlight the genuinely universal nature of the Catholic Church against the obnoxious suggestion that something HQ'd in Rome is thereby parochial.


1 No, not Mars the planet, but after the Areopagus in Acts 17, the "hill of Ares," god of war.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I was wondering the same exact thing...why Sweden? One thought that crossed my mind was that maybe Marcus Grodi wanted to do some filming while on vacation and found some converts to tape. But I like your explanation better!

Moonshadow said...

They are a crafty bunch, I think. But I submitted my thought as a question to them, just to see what they say. I could be all wet!