Sunday, August 08, 2010

I was really sick last Monday, mostly dizzy. I decided that the diphenhydramine I was taking to help me sleep was causing dizziness. So I got rid of that from the medicine chest. And, so, the caffeine has to go as well. I took some Advil for the headache on Tuesday (Advil doesn't have caffeine) because I had to lead Bible study in the morning. Tuesday was actually my best day.

Wednesday was awful with an upset stomach. I ate two meals on Wednesday, a bowl of Mini Wheats in the morning and again in the evening. On Thursday, I got a taste again for caffeinated soda, so I poured my remaining soda bottles down the drain. I went grocery shopping on Friday and didn't even go down the soda aisle.

I've been drinking lots more water, most because of the bad symptoms I had. I wanted to flush out the diphenhydramine too, which I think I've largely done. I'm still a little dizzy, mostly at night. I came home last night and threw my head back to look at the stars and nearly fell over. Since diphenhydramine is an antihistamine, I lost whatever benefit that gave to my urticaria. I've gone back to the prescription topical ointment but the itching keeps me up at night.

I'm reading labels scrupulously. Chris and I went out for pizza after the beach on Friday evening and he got an Orange Crush to share. I checked the label - "caffeine free." But Jeff offered to buy me an orange or grape soda - I'm still craving sugary drinks - and found Sunkist has caffeine. So, hankering for something sweet, I had a glass of chocolate milk. We keep chocolate milk around for our daughter who prefers it to regular milk. I remembered the caffeine in chocolate but hoped there isn't much and kept drinking.

Can I blame years of nursing? Can I blame children who get up at all hours of the night for my poor sleep habits? I don't know. I ought to be over that by now. Chris still tends to get up a few nights a week1 and needs help in the bathroom.

I read somewhere online it's three weeks to get over caffeine addition. Well, it's a lot easier to do when you feel miserable. I'm yawning a lot more now, for sure. And I think I'm coming down with a cold, as well ...



1 I'm writing this at 1 o'clock and he just got up and I helped him.

No comments: