Tuesday, January 12, 2010

As usual, I'd forgotten my lunch. Making four lunches is hard enough already without worrying about one for me. I knew I'd forget after such a long break. It almost seemed too soon to be starting up again. Someone else said that, but that once there, it felt right.

I sat for the meal even though I would have preferred to do what I normally do between sessions: work on next week's session. A woman shared her Saltines with me which was nice. So nice that I couldn't decline them. Most of the people are of Irish descent which shouldn't surprise anyone.

One guy told a "true story" about his Italian grandfather's trip to Ireland. He entered a public house and the proprietor greeted him with, "Eah, you're not from around here, are you?" He told him he's from Italy and after a long pause, he asked with considerable self-assurance, "You'd be a Catholic, then." And the point of the story was the supposed tendency of the Irish to find something in common with just about anybody. Some way to identify with people.

Well, I don't know about that.

No comments: