Monday, November 20, 2006

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Well, then, don't do that."

Such was the gist of this afternoon's OB/GYN appt. At some late point, I get side-splitting pain. On one side. But this time it's so intense that I am compensating to such a degree and straining my back as well.

I can't lift my four-year-old out of the bathtub without sensing a "pop" on my left side. I can't move my two-year-old into his crib without a painful stretch.

He told me, "You shouldn't be lifting anything."

"Or anyone?" I clarified.

About two weeks ago, I turned over the toting of laundry baskets up and downstairs to Jeff. And last weekend he did the laundry for me.

But I stopped into a medical supply store after the doctor's visit and purchased one of those maternity support belts.

I need some practice putting it on correctly and tight enough, but I think that over time, it will relieve most of my pain. The reviews that I read at Amazon indicate that the belts take a few days to start working ... the muscles involved need some time to heal, recovery, whatever.

The doctor thinks that the pain is due to the baby's position which is still breech ... at this late date!

But since I have always had this pain no matter what the baby's position, I think he's mistaken about the correlation. And I hope that he's mistaken about the baby's position! It would be a shame to bypass the well-broken-in route this last time 'round!

No comments: