Tuesday, June 03, 2008

"The tow truck will arrive within 45 minutes. The driver is just finishing up a remedial class because of a recent accident."

Long pause.

"Unless you'd rather I call another tow truck company?"

The company you called yesterday never showed up.

How many tow truck companies operate in Western Monmouth County?




The "remediated" driver was nice enough.

I made sure he was aware that "Newman Springs Rd." is also County Route 520. Even though he lives in S.I., he assured me that he knows NJ. He found my house, didn't he? That's more than yesterday's crew could manage. Neither could they apparently navigate a telephone keypad since they never called for directions.

I suppose I'd have received a better response around Exit 9 of the Turnpike. Being "safe at home" with a disabled car lacks damsel-in-distress drama that towers thrive on.

But looks are deceptive because there's plenty of drama: price of a new transmission. On a 3 1/2 year old car. With 66,000 miles. Right.

I remember the ETS malfunction on the wagon. Repair cost $800, mostly for downloading software to the boards. A year later, the manufacturer refunded the repair costs because they identified a production defect. The problem became a recall or something. I'd have to believe that this problem is in the same category.

But it isn't reasonable to hope for a refund. I mean, such a hope can't factor into the decision-making process. Thankfully, it's Jeff's decision, not mine, as one-sided as it appears.

Me, I'd just do it because I don't see any other option. As the spending budget for Jeff's home office furniture gets smaller and smaller ...

I hope the pope has better luck with his wheels ...

tags technorati :

No comments: