Monday, September 08, 2008

Catholic university rescinds appointment of feminist theologian - Catholic News Service, 8/22/08:
The University of San Diego is standing by its decision to revoke the appointment of a nationally known Catholic feminist theologian to its faculty ...

there was a procedural error in offering the theologian, Rosemary Radford Ruether, the Msgr. John R. Portman chair in Roman Catholic theology for the fall 2009 semester and said her seat on the board of directors of an organization that supports legal abortion makes her an inappropriate choice for the position.

"By no means are we demeaning Dr. Ruether's very respected career in theology, but in the case of this chair, she was not an appropriate selection."
Is this guilt by association or does Ruether herself support abortion? I don't know.1 Sometimes you gotta eat with the tax collectors, you know?

Ruether happened to be in Israel, yes, at the same time as we. Ten years ago. She was speaking at a conference in Bethlehem. Some of our group, ardent feminists and former nuns, yes, drove on their own to hear her speak. I had no interest, certainly not.

And, funny thing, ha - not really - at the airport, those ladies got singled out by security for having gone to Bethlehem - controlled by the PA at the time, yes? - without their tour guide, etc., etc.

Oh, Jeff & I started through security with one of them, and as the inspector asked her more and more questions, Jeff and I stepped away from her more and more! We were like, "No! We didn't go to Bethlehem then!!"


1This article makes her sound like a real whack job. Maybe she is. I've only heard the name, I've never read anything by her. Oh, maybe I read one thing in grad school by her ... or maybe I was supposed to read something by her but, if I did read it, I don't remember or didn't understand it. It didn't stick with me, in other words.

6 comments:

Matt said...

WOW. Thank you so much for the books! Completely unexpected too! I didn't even list my Amazon wishlist on my blog so I'm very impressed and humbled. God bless you and your family.

Moonshadow said...

Oh, well, I hope you don't think it's an inappropriate gesture ... I gave it long consideration but my judgment isn't always the best.

What clinched it was a fellow blogger treated me to one year's subscription to Flickr, so I thought, "This sort of thing is done between virtual strangers."

Anyway, may reading bring you peace & joy.

Matt said...

No, I don't think its inappropriate at all. I'm grateful to have a nice internet friend. Now, where's your wish list so I can return in kind on your big day? :-)

Moonshadow said...

Oh, my wish list is easy enough to find but would you deny me my credit per Luke 6:34?!

Rather, flip through my happy family photos ... that alone would return it to me a hundred times!

Matt said...

Ok no problem. I do appreciate them, the Nova Vulgata in particular is very nice. But I kinda feel bad you spent money on me. So in the future lets just do eCards or something? :-)

I'll take a look at your photos!

Going back to the New Vulgate, some trads pretend they don't know it exists, but I see it as a continuation of true Catholic scriptural tradition. Why should the Vulgate be FROZEN in time? After all its always been updated in the past right?

Moonshadow said...

Why should the Vulgate be FROZEN in time? After all its always been updated in the past right?

I think "nova" is a misnomer because the objective is one of recovery, not change.