Monday, September 15, 2008

"The pre-Flood Earth was fairly flat."

I had never heard that particular Christian belief before last week.

How widespread is this notion among American Christians? It goes hand-in-hand with a belief that rain didn't fall until the time of the Flood. Land accounted for most of the antediluvian earth's surface.

Psalm 104:8 is said to teach that "present day mountain ranges were formed during and following the Flood." This is the same psalm, in verse 5, that says the sun goes around the earth. I consider it imprudent buttressing a theology with the Psalms, much less Earth Science! (Psalm 104, NAB)

But, I must say, as I read the first chapter of our Isaiah II study, verses of restoration, like this one, make more sense:
"Every valley shall be lifted up,
and every mountain and hill be made low;
the uneven ground shall become level,
and the rough places a plain."
Isaiah 40:4
If you remember how the high places were idolatrous snares and that the Valley of Hinnom, a place of child sacrifice, why shouldn't the Bible wish these topographical features away in the end?

Things I don't ask myself. I don't think much about Pre-Fall Adam ... and I don't ponder the Pre-Flood Earth. Or whether there was a Flood at all.

2 comments:

Matt said...

In my old PCUSA church, we indeed watch videos and learned the teaching that the earth was completely or almost completely flat before the flood.

Even one of our priests last week at a wedding indicated that the earth was "different" before the flood. He made mention that Eden was supposedly on a Hill, as was Calvary, the Temple, and now our Altars.

Moonshadow said...

I appreciate your comment.

I'm surprised and ashamed that I've never heard of this before ...

So, what would you make (or have made) of a Christian who didn't believe the earth was flat before the flood? Would such be holding beliefs contrary to the teaching of Scripture?

now our Altars

What's more popular, I think, is to have a bit of earth exposed under the altar - like this one at Tabgha on the shore of the Sea of Galilee (Tabgha - Wiki). But, either way, the idea is to remind us of Calvary.