Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I'm not used to listening to the Sunday sermon except with the intention of catching mistakes. That comes from being a know-it-all. But I'm going to have to start tuning in - big time and for real - because Father Mike's preaching is radical. Moreover, he truly seems to believe what he's saying. He ought to believe it, of course, because it's True. But there's a freshness and, well, did I say "radical"? Now, he is radical - he's a priest. That's quite radical. But he's calling us, compelling us, to a radical faith, too.

Of the three traditionally theological virtues, my forte has always been "hope". "Faith" is anemic and underdeveloped, and "charity" is, well, nonexistent. With personal stats like that, "hope" is the only thing that keeps me clinging to Christ's garments.

You know, Fr. Mike actually warned us against "multipying prayers" on Sunday. I mean, those were his exact words, "multiplying prayers". I quaked. Catholics don't talk that way. I was convicted. I thought to myself (and to my God), "Well, what am I going to do now?" I use vocal prayer as a way of jump-starting my mental prayer. He gave an "out" and said that memorized prayers could be employed to drown out worldly concerns and assist the mind in centering on God's presence. Whew, that's a relief. But he encouraged us to approach God in our own words and ask the Holy Spirit to help us pray. To teach us to pray. I can use my own words, I have used my own words and I have asked the Holy Spirit to help me pray. But maybe I just like words too much. I'd rather pray Scripture or the Divine Office or someone else's prayers. Gee, maybe Father Mike is a charismatic. Wouldn't that be something? That would just figure.

2 comments:

LauraT said...

Teresa,

I appreciate what Father Mike is saying. He is trying to convey that 'personal relationship' which sometimes is missed when we begin to 'recite' or memorize specific prayers of others. By allowing yourself to be totally at peace with the LORD and allowing the Holy Spirit to move you in such a way, that sometimes you are caught off guard that this is actually 'you' praying. (I was never good at this type of prayer because I, too, came from 'rehearsed prayers'. It is liberating to just 'talk' and share with the LORD about your day. Thanking him, praising him, asking for help...these are all examples of ways to become closer to him.
I don't think Father Mike sounds charismatic yet...just look out for anyone dropping to the ground. That would be the first sign (very similiar to Pentecostals).
I went to a Charasmatic Service years ago with a friend (it was held mid-week, at night in a Catholic Church somewhere in Jackson I believe) and it was the strangest experience. People were falling down left and right. I, on the other hand, did not. I could tell they were really trying because they prayed over me quite a while,--but I didn't 'fall' to the ground like so many did. :)

Moonshadow said...

My idle interest in spiritual direction is morphing into a longing, really.

As to the charismatics, these are, to a large extent, the only Catholics reading their Bibles, evangelizing and sharing the Gospel (i.e., witnessing to their faith in Christ). I may be the exception among them.

There's no danger of worshippers dropping to the floor at Sunday liturgy, at least not from ecstasy. And it's unlikely that Fr. Mike would hold a charismatic Mass. IMO, the bishop who spent a few years in Pensacola, FL., has charismatic tendencies. Bishop Smith set up a training relationship with a ministry there and a parish in Howell which boasts a charismatic pastor.

My good friend from high school who runs an orphanage in India is a devout Pentecostal and a self-proclaimed biblical fundamentalist. (She is trinitarian, very important to me ... and her!)

We get along quite well -- she is very orthodox -- but we have an unspoken understanding: no glossolalia from her and no Ave Maria from me! Anyway, her example alone has humbled me in my arrogance towards charismatics, fundamentalists, missionaries, women preachers, ... I was present when she first received the gift of tongues - we were both just kids then, over twenty years ago.