Sunday, February 05, 2006

In going about our normal routine, we pass many prominent churches with ancient cemeteries. The sprawling one at the 250-year-old Old Tennent Church near Freehold caught Kenny's eye and he asked what cemeteries are for. I explained the custom of burial. He wanted to know why cemeteries were located close to churches and I said that when Jesus comes again, he's going to come for those believers whether they are in church or in the ground. I asked him whether he believed that Jesus is coming again and he said that he believed it but he didn't understand it. And I said that's ok, he can't understand it unless he believes it. So he asked me what Heaven is like and I said it's being with God and probably family and friends ('though I'm not convinced on that point myself) but I was clear about Heaven not being located or locatable - that is, Heaven is not a place such that we could discover it by flying above the clouds or deep into space. And Hell is not a place such that we could dig down into the earth and find it. But Heaven is being with God and Hell is being without God. More than that, I couldn't say. So that night, I read to the boys at their request a children's book called Our Father, the Prayer that Jesus Taught. I usually just read the Scripture snippets out of that book to them and on the "Thy kingdom come" line there's a quotation from Revelation 21:1-4 which I read as dramatically as I can for it is one of my favorites and Kenny said at the end of the reading, "Mom, that's Heaven." And I said that it certainly is. No more death, no more pain, no more crying and God is there.

Then yesterday Kenny said that it would be scary to live near a cemetery. So I told him that I grew up with a cemetery practically in my backyard and I walked through it on my way to church and I thought it was a neat place to play. But I get that attitude from my mother; the only places in Brooklyn with grass and trees in her day were the cemeteries, so she played in them with her cousins whose fathers ran the funeral parlor.

No comments: