Monday, March 19, 2007

Every new moon or so, Brian posts an overtly religious article at our high school alumni web site. Tonight, I saw his posting, a sermon by George Whitefield ("wit-field"). It's here and it's long.

There is a good part in the sermon that I hope to connect with Brian on at a later time.

But what leapt out at me was the mention of "communion tokens". I have never heard of such a thing.

Whitefield is speaking of the sin of unbelief:
Can it be supposed that any of you are unbelievers here in this church-yard, that are born in Scotland, in a reformed country, that go to church every Sabbath? Can any of you that receive the sacrament once a year -- Oh that it were administered more often! -- can it be supposed that you who had tokens for the sacrament, that you who keep up family prayer, that any of you do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?
An answer to his rhetorical question might be a timid "yes". The tokens attempted to safeguard against unbelievers receiving communion. One can still purchase them, as gifts for young people making their "first" communion or confirmation, nowadays sans genuine currency. Ugh, what a pun.

From the Library of Congress:
The sacrament of Holy Communion was precious to colonial Presbyterians (and to members of other Christian churches). Presbyterians followed the Church of Scotland practice of "fencing the table"--of permitting members to take communion only after being examined by a minister who vouched for their spiritual soundness by issuing them a token that admitted them to the celebration of the sacrament. The custom continued in some Presbyterian churches until early in this century.
Now, I had read up on "closed communion" a few years ago and I did blog my conclusions. My conclusions suck; don't read them. I was mad about Catholics being singled out, again, when we aren't the only ones.

"Fencing the table", reminds me of my study of the Talmud last fall:
"A gezeirah is a law instituted by the rabbis to prevent people from accidentally violating a Torah mitzvah. We commonly speak of a gezeirah as a 'fence' around the Torah."
I caught a glimpse, only a fleeting glimpse, mind you, of how freeing Law can be. It was beautiful but I couldn't sustain the image. I mean, it's nebulous for someone who didn't grow up in it. It's hard to make it one's way of life unless it's always been, simply.

No comments: