Thursday, March 15, 2007

I'm not upset, really. Well, a little, I guess. But I've got wisdom on my side - "play to your strengths" and "beggars can't be choosers." C'est ne fait rien, apparently. Here's the deal:

Student council holds a bake sale at school. I offer to bake my pièce de résistance, peanut butter cookies. Couldn't I make something else?

Believe me, I'm not insensitive to allergies. But genuine concern ought reach beyond peanuts to include eggs and butter and gluten. Am I right? But those aren't banned - there'd be no bake sale if they were.

Moreover, no enrolled student is actually known to be allergic to peanuts.

My kids like my peanut butter cookies. I bake them the best. I want to offer something with confidence, my best.

But, instead, in deference, I made oatmeal and they turned out terrible. Horrid little hard things. I told Jeff that he'll have to bake next time. He was fine with that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I could not be a kid these days. It's just no fun at all. Too many bloody rules.

Humph, I listened to (a very loud) Moving Pictures as I baked:
"Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves."
Oh, I learned it all too young.

No comments: