Friday, April 06, 2007

A while back, A Hard Day's Night was on, so I made the boys watch it. The "bit in the field" wasn't as funny to me as I remember but they enjoyed it. They liked the police station stuff near the end.

Then an old show on VH1, Daydream Believers: The Monkees Story aired but we only watched a segment because it's so awful. Kenny asked, "Is this the Beatles?" No, no, noooo, it's not. But I spent a day as a kid watching original episodes on MTV. And I attended their reunion tour show in the mid-80s. I still like most of their songs.

Just this morning, the kids watched that episode of The Simpsons about Homer's barbershop quartet1, the Be Sharps. Jeff's like, "This episode is almost fifteen years old!" Is it? "Yeah, they say 'Eight years ago in 1985!'" Whew.

And the kids don't get the gags, of course, being familiar neither with The Beatles nor with mid-80's culture. Kenny appreciated "flashback" when he pointed out to us Lisa as a baby. Yes, good eye. The show is enjoyable without getting all the jokes. I imagine that I don't necessarily get all the jokes. But it is better if you get them. Gosh, even putting Apu in the group makes sense. The parallels are so clever.

1 I find myself turning to Wiki instead of imdb, even for movies, probably because of wiki's external links.

No comments: