Saturday, October 13, 2007

Got around to celebrating Chris's birthday this evening. That sounds awful, doesn't it? Are our lives truly that busy?

It's not that: we were out of our home five days so they could stain and finish the floors.

I ordered the cake with the best intentions but then had to change the date after my contractor told me his plan.

"Change" - most people don't do change. Delete-Add is more reliable than Change. I should have done a delete-add on the cake because when I tried to pick it up on the new date, the bakery department had nothing.

You should have seen the clerk's face when she found no cake for us. She was as white as flour. She worked the phones to get a baker in to make our cake while we waited. I was laughing ... mostly from pleasure that she took her job seriously but also from the knowledge ... that I eventually shared with her ... that it was no big deal.

I said, "Look, we're flexible. It's just a family party and his birthday was last week already. What's another day? Besides, his father's birthday is also tomorrow, so I planned to combine the two parties. Do me a favor, write on the cake: Happy Birthday, Christopher and Daddy!"

One for the history books!

More pictures at Jeff's excellent flickr account. I love the tagline, "What's your name?" "Three!"

No comments: