Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jeff is cleaning out his West Long Branch office because nobody renewed the lease. One thing he won't miss is the track traffic.

But he told me - and he'd have to tell me because I don't follow horse racing - about the Breeders Cup at Monmouth Park this weekend.

I remember the Park being popular with coworkers; some would spend their lunch hour there. When I later worked in Holmdel, everyone knew the West Long Branch location for one thing: its proximity to the racetrack. Surely I missed not being able to take my lunch at the track?

No, no, only been there once, for a company picnic. The horses and jockeys were pretty to look at, the races were exciting but not enough of a draw to get me back.

"Spotlight Is on a Track in New York's Shadow," NYT, 10/22/07:
Without the benefit of slot machines, which tracks in Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York and West Virginia have, the New Jersey racing industry has seen better days.
There's just always been a horse track around (Batavia Downs, River Downs, Monmouth Park, Freehold Raceway).

Lost sentimental value: we worked there my first year in NJ. Now it's a convenient rendezvous on the way to Seven Presidents for family summer evenings at the beach. Teasing the kids that there's no "East" Long Branch, NJ! We'll have to find a beach near his new Shore office.



See also: "Monmouth Park readies for Breeders' Cup," Asbury Park Press, 10/18/07

No comments: