Thursday, October 11, 2007

We reviewed Peter's speeches in Acts for faith statements about Jesus. These speeches are presumed to record the essence of the apostolic preaching about Jesus.

In the former address, I shared finding a hint of "the more" about Jesus in the belief articulated in 2:24, that "it was impossible for death1 to keep its hold on him," i.e., Jesus. A fleeting revelation of Jesus' eternal life.

We became pressed for time, so discussion of the latter address deteriorated into Jim telling us the key phrase: "the author of life."2

Next time, we'll look at a number of Pauline verses, including the Philippians hymn, and Jim recommended using the Catholic Comparative New Testament which I have here someplace3, if only I can lay my hands on it. Apparently, punctuation is of interest in these Pauline verses, so this side-by-side comparison will make those differences clear.

Speaking of the Catholic Comparative New Testament, just how difficult was it to come up with seven eight4 English translations of the New Testament that Catholics may reference?! I mean, shoot, I've never even heard of the Christian Community Bible!



1 Some ancient sources read "destruction" (αδην) in place of "death" (Θανατου) to complement verse 27 and 31 (Metzger, 259).

2 Not capitalized in the NIV (or the NAB)! How curious! I suppose it isn't really creation language as much as it's salvation language.

3 The home remodel has been particularly hard on my books!

4 My mistake, the Greek is not included among the versions.

No comments: