Monday, October 29, 2007

You probably think I'm trying to slip this in before October is out, but ...

There's a nice snippet at page 22 on doxologies. And I'm no liturgist because I can't say I ever noticed the distinctions ...

The devotion Wills describes uses the Lesser Doxology:
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
The Greater Doxology, the Gloria, follows the Kyrie in due seasons in the Ordinary.

And the Trinitarian doxology follows the canon:
Through him, with him, in him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, almighty Father, for ever and ever.
In looking these texts up, I got really jealous of the elaborate structure of Eastern rites. But I'd get lost there.

I wonder whether we will consider these doxologies when we discuss the Creeds, as Wills says these formulations ...
"descend from fourth-century affirmations of the faith against Arian and other heresies that denied the equality of the Persons of the Trinity." (24).
tags technorati :

No comments: