Sunday, January 03, 2010

"Behavior in church shows disrespect" - Asbury Park Press, Letter to the Editor, 1/3/10:
My family attends church regularly. My children know how to behave (for the most part) during Mass. It is not something you learn at secret meetings or that only "Catholic school" children know. It is respect, and it's either in your family or it's not. Those lacking it should stay out of church.

We went to 12 o'clock Mass at St. James Church in Red Bank on Christmas Day. We were told the church was full at 11:45 (with all the fake Catholics) and we had to go to the gym. I believe the true parishioners should receive tickets to enjoy Mass in their own church, and the fakes should be stuck in the gym. I'd even pay for the ticket if it meant enjoying the Mass.

I have no issues with babies crying, singing or talking in church. They are babies and their noise is innocent and beautiful. But I do have issues with the older children, young adults and their parents not knowing how to behave in church, let alone dress.

A couple of rows in front of me was a mother with her two boys (early and late teens). I won't be critical of the way they dressed, but they should have attempted to brush their hair. It was Christmas after all. My family and I watched as they blew bubbles with their gum, spit on each other and hit each other throughout the Mass. They went to receive Communion like they were going to a snack bar. No reverence, no grace. They probably weren't even sure why they were attending Mass. It was obvious they don't do it regularly.

They weren't the only ones. The Mass was full of strange faces, not knowing when to kneel or sit and not knowing the prayers. I don't know why people feel the need to invade our church two days out of the year. They should stay away all year long so they don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Lori Edgerly
EATONTOWN
If she lives in Eatontown, then St. James isn't her geography parish. Just sayin'.

No comments: