Monday, September 04, 2006

Manhunt in Western NY

This AP story appeared in yesterday's Asbury Park Press: "Hunt widens for cop shootings suspect". The picture of a vehicle checkpoint showed agents opening car trunks with rifles drawn.

I'm not very familiar with Fredonia but I imagine that it's a relatively sleepy town by national standards. It's quite southwest of where I grew up, along the southeastern shore of Lake Erie, right on Interstate 90.

I ran there once, indoor track, at SUNY Fredonia. I think their track measured 160 meters instead of 200. It was one of my first, if not my first, indoor competitions. There was a girl from, I wanna say Canisius but I can't remember where she was from, that Coach wanted me to beat in the 1,000 or 1,500. He had followed her high school career and knew what she could do. On the other hand, I was an unknown to him. I mean, he didn't recruit me; I signed up.

Anyway, I beat her by quite a bit, it was an easy race. But I nearly died from the dry indoor air, and after guzzling a quart of Gatorade, I vomited it all up in the locker room toilet. I haven't drank Gatorade since ... and we never ran there again. I encountered that girl in other competitions, in the early years, before we moved up in divisions, but according to Coach, she never achieved her potential as hoped based on her high school success. That happens sometimes, he said.

No comments: