Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The sign in the window read "Closed" but the lights were on, so I went inside. I asked the clerk if the shop was open and he said, "Sure, yes, of course." Then I switched 'round the sign for him and said, "That's good. It would be sad if we couldn't keep a Christian bookstore open in Freehold."

Other signs indicate that they are relocating sometime this month, farther south down 9.

The shopkeeper looked familiar but admitted that it was his first day. I set my ziploc snack bag on the counter and removed the clear crystal beads in front of him. I said, "Do you still repair rosaries here?"

He wasn't sure but didn't think so. I put the pieces back into my bag and looked at the display case for a new one. I wanted wood anyway.

As I browsed, we talked about rosaries, for his part, rather awkwardly. He said that he still has the one he received for his First Holy Communion. He showed it to me.

"Oh, they made 'em to last back then," I offered.

He thought it was rather as his friends said, "They tell me that if I used it more, it would fall apart." Or he could do as me and let his kids play with it.

His has needed repair, he said that he glued Jesus back on once. "Oh, yeah, I've had to do that too," I said, thinking of the oversized olive wood one I bought in the Jewish Quarter in Jerusalem. Tip: the best quality Christian stuff is to be found in the Jewish Quarter.

I checked for the '07 LOTH Guide, but it isn't out yet. The shop has recently changed hands. The previous owners stocked conservative materials and some non-Catholic items. None of it is scholarly, save for the encyclicals and some of Benedict's earlier stuff. I imagine that the conservative emphasis will carry over with the new owners but who knows about the non-Catholic materials. I mean, I suspect that the new owners are associated with St. Veronica's. 'nuff said.

Anyway, I rounded out my purchase with some holy cards. And I'll have to check back in a month or two after they relocate.

No comments: