Sunday, February 25, 2007

It wasn't a live show but, first-time listener, how would I know?

I've confessed publically to liking American folk music ( see my profile ) without liking country or jazz.

I was in and out of the car during the two hour period. I liked the first two songs by Adrienne Young. The banter between G. K. and Pat Donohue was entertaining:
"And, Mr. Donohue, you did not go to the University of Minnesota?"

"No. I did attend the university but not the one of Minnesota."

"No, not this, not this one. Not the Minnesota university. Another university."

"Right. And, it also has an 'M' as an emblem, but I won't even tell you which one it is."

"Well, now you have to, don't you?"

"Oh, OK, if I have to. It's not Michigan, either."

"Marquette. Marquette."

"It's Marquette. You got that right."

"You came from a good Catholic family, so they wouldn't send you to a place like the University of Minnesota where you might ... where you might come in contact with young Lutheran women."

"I was cautioned against that."

"You were sent off to Marquette and so you wound up marrying a young Jewish woman."

"And everything just works out, doesn't it?"
And then the rendition of the Springsteen song, "Highway Patrolman (lyrics)"

The "Perrineville" mentioned in the song is not us here, Jeff said, but a fictitious town in Ohio.

Then Wiki has it wrong. Not the first time.

Must admit that my heart skipped a little when I heard it. I mean, no doubt, he borrowed the name of an insignificant town west of Freehold and used it of a nonexistent town in Ohio.

No comments: