Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"The New Intolerance", Christianity Today, February 2007:
In the past, atheists (or secular humanists or freethinkers) were often condescendingly tolerant of their less-enlightened fellow citizens.

While they disdained religion, they treated their religious neighbors as good-hearted, if misguided.

But now key activists are urging a less civil approach.
Jeff explained that it's because Christians in particular are getting uppity and forgetting their place, so they got it coming.

I've always counted on atheists being polite and tolerant and nice. I mean, I've come to expect civility because it goes along with high intelligence and varied experience.

So, if this "new intolerance" catches on, I'm going to be disappointed. I suppose it's a result of our society as a whole "coarsening" - even atheists are succumbing.

No comments: