Thursday, February 15, 2007

This announcement surprises me for a couple of reasons:
Catholic Charismatic Bible Study

Saint David The King is having their first ever Charismatic Bible Study this year.

Sundays, 6:30 – 8:00 PM

Dates: March 4, 18, April 1, 15, 29 and May 20, 2007

Topic: The Acts of the Apostles

Reading the Acts of the Apostles is like finding an ancient account of our earliest days together as church and as believers in Jesus Christ. We will explore the unfolding presence of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and beyond. Sessions will include charismatic prayer, study, and faith sharing.
I left off the contact information for reasons of privacy. If you are interested in attending, I can put you in touch with the right people.

So, what's surprising?

I have met both people listed in this announcement: the coordinator at St. David's and the Bible Study facilitator.

The faciliator is holy, devout, and intelligent, but I would have never pegged her as charismatic. Maybe she isn't claiming that. Maybe it's a case of "it takes one to know one" and I ain't one. Whichever, the charismatic tone of this study surprises me.

Now, years ago I tried to join St. David's Bible study.

At first, the coordinator was very eager for me to join. I asked what study materials she used and she replied a series from a Protestant study she'd completed recently, Life Application Series. She said that the materials keep things simple which was ideal as her study was aimed at Bible novices.

I cautioned her against using the Life Application Series because it's not a Catholic commentary series. I explained some known difficulties with the NIV translation and encouraged her to use the more familiar New American Bible instead. She deduced that I am not a newcomer to the Bible and suggested that I might be bored at her study and told me that I did not fit her profile of participant.

In all my years, I've never heard of anyone discouraging someone from attending a Bible study! I even promised her that I would sit there and not say a word. That I would listen only. She wasn't interested.

For the record, I'm not opposed to Protestant series and commentaries ... I read them all of the time. But Catholic newcomers to the Bible shouldn't, certainly not in a parish-sponsored program.

4 comments:

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

Better late than never...

I assume the Bible Study Facilitator was Dorothy S., right?

And the coordinator was Nanci B., right?

If so, I sympathize with you about Nanci's... difficulties.

Moonshadow said...

Oh, I appreciate your comment ...

The facilitator was Therese Boucher in this case. I don't see her as a charismatic.

However, this announcement had come to me in email from a charismatic prayer group at St. Greg's. I used to participate in their study of the upcoming Sunday readings, so I am on their mailing list.

And that's the thing, for the most part, only charismatic Catholics study the Bible. Why?

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

Ah, I've met her husband, John, a few times at various Trenton diocese events.

I don't know about charismatic Catholics and Bible study... I only know about Bible study. :)

Moonshadow said...

Yeah, I know John better, too, having gone through his monthly evangelization training in '06.

But I believe she's the woman behind the man, if you will. At least he gives that impression, acting deferential towards her when she's present.