Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I told him I was there to bring down the mean age of his audience but, truth is, I'm not so young myself.

First off, it's a lovely church, Holy Eucharist out there in Tabernacle.

'Though I saw it mostly in the dark and didn't get a "tour." Travel time was an hour each way, plus $40 in babysitter money and probably $25 in gas.

If I'm rural, then Tabernacle's wilderness. And so flat, I felt I was back in Ohio.
I went curious at the turnout. Eager to offer a testimonial, even informally, if needed. It didn't take long to realize that I'd heard this lecture, more or less, before. Probably last spring. He covered a lot of ground, from canon to textual criticism to church documents.

During a break, I spoke with an ILEM grad, the inaugural class. She knows Bridges from GCC and will likely do the study in the fall. She said she's over at Joan of Arc and even though I guessed Marlton correctly, I haven't any idea where the city is relative to Tabernacle.

I mentioned the Holy Land trip through the school next spring but she's going this fall with the diocese. I didn't even know the diocese was going! On a back table was a memory book celebrating Holy Eucharist's 25 years. I flipped through and saw a picture of Fr. Mike, performing a baptism. He was pastor there in the last 90's and early 00's. I had only heard that he'd been at St. Mary of the Lake in Lakewood, so it was interesting information.

Jim had Bob give a testimonial about the program but ran out of time before calling on me. Bob alluded to the program using the second edition of the study guides and I am curious to find out how revised they are, vis a vis the new leadership, Tim Gray et. al. I'll have to ask Jim. This forum thread talks a bit about the program, whether in Denver itself or through a parish.

No comments: