Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Last academic push of the year ...

I thought we could coast for the final month of school but both kids came home with book report assignments this past week. Why bother, you know?

Tim's is easy, no problem.

Kenny's is a biography and he brought home the one on Andrew Jackson from his school's library. He began reading and I joined him after twenty minutes or so. Good thing, because the page numbers went from 26 back to 11, then up to 26 again and then to 43 and the end. Kenny didn't notice the jump ... or the repetition. The book is missing 16 pages, outright. With no evidence. No torn pages, no ripped binding, no gap between its hardcovers.

I returned the book to school with a note that it is defective and ought to be discarded. I wonder whether that will happen.

Kenny is interested in a biography on this man. I never cared for him, personally, 'though I remember liking the song as a kid.

The public library has two copies of the book, but I had to call for an explanation of the location designation "EXTENSION." Basically, the book's in storage, like in the basement. The librarian brought up a copy for us. Wouldn't it be interesting if it had the same production problem?

I point out to Kenny that I tend to find typos and other errors in books all the time. Here's another instance of that tendency. If I'm careful, he'll grow up pretty skeptical of everything ... save himself, of course.

tags technorati :

No comments: