Thursday, May 01, 2008

This happens every year but, must be, I've been less scrupulous in the past because it was my first time at Queenship of Mary.1

Just across the street ... but a world away! That's how I felt after the service at least. But, let me back up to how I got there ...

Fr. Mike's two Ascension Thursday services, morning and evening, overlap with my two Thursday Bible studies. And I can't miss Bible study in order to attend church because both study leaders would mock me, even the Catholic one!

A midday service in the vicinity of the morning study would fit the bill, 'though I didn't know how long the study would run because we just began a new series on Amos. I knew that Queenship of Mary was the closest, since I've passed it on the way to my Thursday morning study every week for the past four years. Churches in commercial parts of town often offer midday services for the sake of office workers on their lunch break. masstimes.org mostly records Holy Days "as announced,"2 but Queenship of Mary is listed with a 12:15 holy day mass time. Perfect.

The leader managed to instruct us for two hours, same as always. I had enough time to give the kids a (not too) quick lunch in the church parking lot. We exited the car precisely as the bells in the carillon began ringing ... and we were parked right next to the tower. It was difficult to hold the three-year-old's hand through the parking lot with him using both hands to cover his ears! Honestly, I usually love the sound of bells but these ones didn't sound too beautiful.

There was a swarm of smiling ushers, male and female, available to open heavy doors for us. How nice, as I had my hands full. Of course, Fr. Bob greeted us warmly. The sanctuary was just slightly larger than chapel size, cozy but very pretty. I boldly sat near the front which, parents of young children already know, is a major gamble.

Certain people turned their heads 'round every time the huge sanctuary doors opened. That made me self-conscious. I also noticed two, unsmiling spinster-aged women eyeballing my children during the service. That's usually not a good sign, you know. I let Chris flip through my missal when I wasn't using it and Ella chew on a wooden rosary from Medjugorje. Blessed? Sure, probably, but also indestructible.

After the service, one of the spinsters approached me. Well, not exactly "approached," she was parked, facing the wrong way, next to me. So, opening Ella's door came up against her side-view mirror. My car doesn't have sliding doors like a minivan. She had her window down and said, without a hint of sarcasm, "You have beautiful children." She still didn't smile but nobody made her say it, so I took it as genuine.

I remembered back to my monthly evangelization training two years ago when we evaluated diocesan parishes on their "friendliness factor." I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn't my diocese, but the church ranked high, in my experience, as a welcoming parish. And, you know, I like singing the prayers of the mass but speaking them took me back to the days when I could attend daily mass ... after work.

It was the National Day of Prayer today. I guess I did my part. The sanctuary of the church where my morning study is held was outfitted with "stations," each one explained on an accompanying pamphlet, and another brochure was available with some made-up adapted daily office. The church is dabbling in "emerging," so must be someone has looked into the liturgy of the hours. For a tradition that exploited the printing press, I don't know why they cling to pamphlets and brochures when they can have books!3

No matter, no one was there. I started to review the "stations" but stopped at the second one because it offended me: bread and grape juice were available and the participant was to confess their sins to God, take the bread, drip it in the grape juice and eat. Does that work for anyone, private communion?


1 japhy's church ... and his goddaughter receives first communion ... this Sunday (on Sunday?) - what blessed news!

2 I'm a little frustrated with masstimes.org right now because Millstone Township's entry is a mess! It was so much simpler when we were "Perrineville." Bloody Post Office. I don't know how to get the entry cleaned up. The only saving grace is that the town is so small, nobody travels to here.

3 Would you believe me if I told you that when I bought these books, I had no idea who Phyllis Tickle is?! Of course I just thought they were attractive in appearance. Yes, I have a more traditional set, as well.

No comments: