Sunday, May 25, 2008

"You once called me a warped, frustrated old man.
What are you but a warped, frustrated young man?"
I read this post and followed the link to the teacher's personal website.

The article on cessation caught my eye because watching Jesus Camp (40 mins. remain), I feel the need to draw the line on that stuff somewhere. But I'm not sure where, exactly.

Of course, Scott's article would have me draw a line straight through it ... all. I'm not prepared to do that.

The article admits that there isn't a clear argument from Scripture and, if there was, it wouldn't take 27 pages to explain it. The article was so tiresome that I stopped reading after the fourth page, the footnotes even sooner. Usually for me, intriguing footnotes can redeem a dull text.

However, before my reading "cessation," I caught this in the footnotes:
"- a work in which, according to Warfield, 'scepticism found a proper mark'"
and thought, "Ah, yes, skepticism. What a home the skeptical mind finds in the Reformed church." Resurrection? CHECK! Verbal plenary inspiration of Scripture? CHECK!

Real Presence? Papal infallibility? Whoa! That strains (human) credulity! Or, as one friend put it, "That's going too far."

Exactly. Faith would be supernatural.

But, you know, fine. Whatever. Just don't you dare beleaguer Anglicans for their skepticism because it's merely a matter of degree, not of kind.

Today's Readings. Glorious Impossible - L'Engle

tags technorati :

No comments: