Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eliza: Thee go, Jess. The fair's come to have so many sideshows, freaks, dancing...

Mattie: Dancing? What does thee know about dancing?

Jess: She knows a thing or two.

Mattie: Did Mama ever dance? - Friendly Persuasion



"Then you may take me to the fair

If you do all the things you promise

In fact, my heart would break

should you not take me to the fair."
- Guenevere, Camelot

Another Wristband Day, this time at the county fair.

All of our friends bailed for different reasons and we ourselves arrived later than planned. The main parking lot was full but there were plenty of spaces in the overflow lot behind the Human Services building, serviced by a free shuttle.

I had misgivings about riding a shuttle bus even that short distance, less than a mile. But we boarded fine, the trip was quick and brought us directly to the admission booths.

Just about every ride had long lines but the kids got on a few things before they caved to hunger pangs. The fireworks played overhead as they ate their fair fare.

More rides immediately after eating? That didn't seem like a good idea
but Daddy suggested the twirling Tea Cups - a ride with no line. All three tumbled in, Rubba Dub Dub. The inattentive operator let the ride run longer than any mother would recommend and more than a few faces grew pale and troubled. I signaled "Time!" to her but she was talking with a friend. The ride ended and Chris threw up.

He doesn't like throwing up. What kid does? He was very disturbed by it.

I removed his shirt and used it to wipe his pants. His brothers (selfishly, I thought) wanted to ride other things. I agreed to take Chris and Ella back to the car while Jeff took the older ones on a couple more things.

I covered Chris with his sister's blanket. Little kids have a "thing" about not being naked in public. During childhood could be planted the seeds that give us grown-ups our nightmares. Or some might attribute it to the Fall.

He sat so well on the bus even after the interior lights dimmed that I found myself thinking of him as a little man. And when it came time to disembark, I kept him in front of me, according to my habit. I am unable to let the kids follow out of fear they won't.

The driver was at the base of the stairs and an assistant held our stroller ready.

Chris grasped his blanket tight with his right hand and so, neglected to grab the handrail. I yelled, "Grab the railing!" as he tumbled headfirst down the short, steep flight. The driver picked him up from the ground. Chris cried and we got ourselves together for the dark walk to the car. I found some warm clothes for him in his diaper bag and could see in the parking lot lights that his upper lip was swollen.

A park ranger pulled into the parking lot and I approached him asking for a first-aid squad. He radioed for one. In the meantime, Jeff and the boys got off the bus and I explained to him what happened. By this time, the swelling was significantly down. The EMTs said that nothing was broken. That's a relief. By tomorrow there may be quite a bruise on his face.

A few days ago I had considered having Chris's picture taken professionally this coming week because the boys' camp pictures will be in soon, as will Ella's from a session a few weeks ago. I'll have to see how he looks next week.

No comments: