Sunday, December 30, 2007

With rare exception, most of the blogs in my Bookmarks are defunct.

So I was browsing the Catholic Blog Directory for New Jersey blogs and came across a lay minister at St. David the King in Princeton Junction who leads a Bible study for Young Adults drawing from his own resources.

He remarked, in a post from late summer, that he would attend the traditional Latin Mass in Berlin. If he did, he never blogged about the experience.

I know Mater Ecclesiae parish is the "premier" setting for one who wants the "full experience." And maybe first timers owe it to themselves
but it's too far for me. And, heck, it's too far for him, an hour each way.

I had heard that the traditional Mass moved from Immaculate Conception Parish in Eatontown, where I occasionally caught it when I lived over that way, to St. Mary's in Middletown (NJ, not NY!). But, MT isn't any closer than Berlin.

Then, to my surprise (well, almost, I know better), I noted that OLM in Englishtown started a traditional service this past October, on the 7th, actually ... naturally.

OLM has a new pastor; dear ol' Fr. V. must be finally gone.

And this pastor seems to split his time between OLM and St. Thomas More in Manalapan, in much the same way as Fr. V. used to split between OLM and St. Joe's.

I had heard, at Jim's Bible Study, over the course of a couple of Thursday nights, from a St. Thomas More parishioner that, since the word came down that extraordinary ministers were no longer permitted to purify the vessels, her parish receives communion under one species. This was implemented in her parish at the beginning of Advent, just past, with the tone that it was diocesan-wide.

So, as she's complaining about it, she's confused that we don't know what she's talking about!! Jim broke it to her gently, "It's only your parish. It's happening only in your parish, Mary Ann." How long 'til it's everywhere?!

Is it just me, or is "Roman" Catholic beginning to have a meaning of its own, and distinct from "Catholic" Catholic?

UPDATED: I spoke with the wife of a deacon assigned to this parish, a long-time friend, and she explained that the pastor sought and received training to relearn his Latin in order to celebrate the traditional liturgy. That's a positive indication, I think. I mean, the laity ought to be pleased with his commitment to them and the liturgy.

She wasn't clear on the rationale for offering holy communion under one species ... I mean, she didn't mention that Rome failed to renew the indult that permitted lay ministers to purify vessels as the principle reason.

She said I ought to talk to her husband for the fine details ... I would like to do that.

5 comments:

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

Hi Teresa. This is Jeff, your non-defunct NJ blogger. :)

Thanks for the Englishtown link; it is much closer, and I will make an effort to attend there soon for my second Mass in the Extraordinary Form. Yes, I did attend Mater Ecclesiae, but I haven't blogged about it. Luckily, it being the first time I witnessed it, it is still quite fresh in my mind, and I don't think I'd have trouble writing about it, so hopefully I will do so this month. At the least, I should start a draft with some notes in it.

(Also, while I run a Bible study at St. David the King, I'm actually a parishioner at Queenship of Mary in Plainsboro. But who's counting?)

Moonshadow said...

I look forward to your post about Mater Ecclesiae.

Queenship of Mary, beautiful church! Recently renovated (well, a couple of years ago).

I pass Queenship of Mary on my way to Princeton Alliance ... don't ask!

So you aren't Trenton diocese, not that that matters for any Mass in the Extraordinary Form participation.

I'd like to get over to Englishtown some First Sunday morning too.

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

Queenship is a nice church, although I'm not fond of its "Resurrectrix" instead of a large Crucifix at the back of the apse. It also took me a while to get used to its semi-circular arrangment, but it's ok with me.

As for Princeton Alliance, no asking is required. I've attended their Men's Bible Studies in the past. When QoM's study session ended for the summer, I sought other places, and found Princeton Alliance. I'm not sure how many of them know I'm Catholic (I didn't advertise it, but I didn't hide it either, signing myself and using a Catholic bible). Kirk, who leads one of the Men's studies, is a parishioner at St. David.

Moonshadow said...

its "Resurrectrix" instead of a large Crucifix

I must duck in and see sometime.

Kirk, who leads one of the Men's studies, is a parishioner at St. David.

That surprises me a little.

I got started with them one summer, too, for a similar reason!

signing myself and using a Catholic bible

The Sign of the Cross likely goes unnoticed as everyone's head is bowed. I use whatever translation the leader has, makes it easier to keep up.

People have caught on to me there, and it just makes them uncomfortable. :-(
Or, worse, hopeful. :-(

But, you do a good work, offering Bible Study in a Catholic parish so that the Faithful don't wander to slake their thirst for the word.

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

But, you do a good work, offering Bible Study in a Catholic parish so that the Faithful don't wander to slake their thirst for the word.

Hopefully the Lord doesn't hold that against me... doing good works and all... ;)