Thursday, March 09, 2006

I find that things go better for me among Protestants when I don't self-identify as Catholic. It's just the nature of the reaction of some that causes me to retreat from all. But this self-imposed, non-disclosure agreement suits the Bible Study guidelines at most churches, guidelines which discourage the naming of religions, churches and denominations, so my covertness works to my benefit and is also consistent with the tenor of these studies.

Sometimes people guess -- frankly I should think that they would have to be blind or deaf or dumb to not guess, eventually -- and they let me know that they know with a wink or a hug or an "We're glad you're here". But I try not to make any of my answers reveal the intensity of my commitment. I want to edify all present, as much as I am able. I have watched the wall come down across their faces too many times. I am so prone to triumphalism that self-censure is my way of getting over myself and letting others have their say. It's gotten easier to say less since starting this blog because I have an outlet that satisfies my need for self-expression without anyone necessarily listening.

So, this morning, someone caught on, and it happened like this: I shared on Revelation 11:17 and I may blog the details later. I mentioned something that I do not think ought to be particularly Catholic, namely the Lord's Supper, Communion, the eucharist (ευχαριστουμεν, "we give thanks"). I used those latter two titles because "the Lord's Supper" sounds too much like "the Last Supper", suggesting a one-time, historical event, belonging to the Lord and with little modern relevance.

Afterwards, a woman who had mentioned her former association with Catholicism at an earlier time approached me and admitted that she knew what I was saying. That is, she heard me, talking about the eucharist. And she said, "You're Catholic, aren't you?" There's no denying it, so I didn't. "Yeah, I guessed it." Bully for her.

So we talked briefly because she accused me of condemning one of her statements during the discussion. I wanted her to remind me of what that statement was because I had not any recollection of commenting on anything she said. I suspected a misunderstanding and, this sounds harsh in print, but it wasn't so in person, I said, "Look, you are slandering me, so please remind me of the details." And, after thinking about it and checking her notes, she had to conclude that she was mistaken. Anyway, she wanted to talk with me about the dispensation of the Jews but I had to excuse myself to pick up Christopher at child care.

Then I was invited to lunch and I expected the true grilling to get underway over the simple meal. I resolved myself to submit to their inquires for Christ's sake despite the real potential for suspicion and alienation.

So it started with flattery that I am a sucker for. "Oh, you know the Bible so well, have you been studying long?"

"As much as I can."

"Oh, but have you had any formal training?"

"Yes, an MA in theology ... but it's just a beginning, really, you know."

"Yes, of course, and where did you study?"

"Georgian Court College in Lakewood, NJ. Do you know Lakewood?" Most of them didn't. One woman said, "Oh, with all those Jews?!"

"And what type of college is that, is it associated with a church? Who runs it?"

"The Religious Sisters of Mercy." One woman's brother is a priest, so she shared something he had told her about a decline in women's vocations and the closure and selling of convents ( did she say "nunneries"? ) to support retirement and medical funds.

And, after this exchange, the conversation was much more guarded. And one woman said nothing else for the remainder of the meal. So, I will see how it goes for me next Thursday. The ladies had invited me to some greenhouse tour in Hillsborough with which I am quite unfamiliar on Holy Thursday since we do not have Bible Study but I told them that I expect to be busy on Holy Thursday. It is one of my favorite holidays, the Institution of the Eucharist, not surprisingly.

No comments: