Friday, February 01, 2008

I accepted the appointment assuming that Jeff would also have a conflict. He didn't.

There was no one to watch Chris, but spending a weekday morning with Jeff was a pleasant prospect.

I didn't send the email to inform the study leader I'd be missing for a more important engagement. It's not as if I didn't think it would happen. I was praying it wouldn't! But I'd rather give accurate information, so night before is soon enough. And she called that afternoon to cancel. And to reschedule a week later. And again to cancel and reschedule.

I had been doing my study work, just for my own sake, assuming I wouldn't be sharing it. There is the usual last minute cram no matter how diligently I try to avoid it. The lesson was entirely on chapter 6 but, of course, we jump all over the place and Revelation certainly can't be left out.

My one concern, and I need to ask someone about it, is how she recited, from the King James, and applied Ephesians 5:26:
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word
Because she insinuated that daily Scripture reading was a washing, a purification.

The word here is rhema, which for all we say about the active and living and God-breathed Scriptures (Heb. 4:12; 2 Tim. 3:16), seems to suggest a veritable spoken word, and words from a rite or ritual come to my mind. Now, these words could be Scriptural words, borrowed or based upon the Scriptures. That would be best. But it doesn't sound like something we pronounce over ourselves in our daily quiet time. Someone is pronouncing them on our behalf. If you want to say it's Christ, ok, but it could be someone acting in the person of Christ.

Short answer: it just sounds like water baptism to me.

No comments: