Monday, August 04, 2008

The cabinets arrived late Friday afternoon and we got them upright and unpacked.

It was a real challenge because the tall ones measure 90" high and the ceiling is 8' or just under. Resting on its 2' side, we needed more clearance than we had. Jeff got the bright idea to rotate the box onto its 3' side, and it worked. The ceiling just needs some touch-up.

Jeff worked hard Saturday getting the tall cabinets in. Reaching above and behind wasn't always easy.

I was out most of yesterday, so Jeff did what he could without my help. He started on my desk area which is next to the window.


What's left to do? That base cabinet needs to go in. And there's another wall cabinet to go along the top. The tall cabinets have four pull-out drawers each, but two arrived damaged and must be returned/replaced. Obviously, the doors and drawers need to go back on and knobs put on.

There's a showroom in Hightstown with countertops but when I tried to get information about hard surfaces from the shopkeeper, well, the conversation went a little like this:
I'm interested in a countertop for my pantry area.

I don't do kitchens.

This isn't a kitchen, it's more like a laundry room.

I don't do any industrial surfaces.

This isn't industrial; it's residential. It's a desk in a laundry room.

I only do bathrooms. I can only do 22" in depth or less.

This is 21".

I only do 3/4" thickness. My 1 1/2" granite comes with an integrated bowl.

And, of course, his accent is so thick that I can't understand "integrated bowl".

So, you can't help me ... or you don't want to help me?
And I left his store.

On the other half of this room is my washer/drawer ... and this whole space was our garage until last summer!

I added a construction set at Flickr because I can have more sets now! Thanks to someone!

No comments: