Monday, August 18, 2008

It's just not a good day for driving out there ...

The light at 527 and 33 turned from yellow to red just as I approached and stopped. About 40 seconds or more to wait, so I took my hands from the wheel and looked down at them. I must have been feeling saucy because I had my right turn signal on. Aggressive drivers consider that move pure taunt.

As a small, red car drew up behind me, I expected to hear a blaring honk or two. Maybe my music was too loud but, surprising, I didn't hear a honk. Rather, where the honk should have been, I felt a jolt as her car bumped mine.

I looked up and into my rear view mirror and watched the little red car back up. I wasn't about to step out at a busy intersection, with three kids in the car ... one of them almost asleep. So, when the light turned green, I made my right turn and noticed the little car go straight through. Apparently she assessed the damage on my behalf and decided it wasn't worth her trouble.

Well, I need to scope out the sensors on my car's rear bumper, to see whether they still work. Pending that inspection, there's no obvious signs of damage.

This incident was sandwiched between two feebly-executed Jersey Lefts, both as I entered the intersection from a jughandle. The one driving the Escalade pulled so far into my lane that I had no choice but to let her through. At least she had the decency to appear mildly ashamed and to wave an acknowledgment as I gestured a "Well, get on with it" at her. The other one, driving the Land Rover, started to turn, then turned back and gestured, so I gestured back.

I just wasn't in the mood to graciously honor local custom, forgive me. They would have to steal the privilege, as I wasn't set to give it away. And, frankly, they could have stolen it, right in front of me, very easily, if they'd had any balls. I know I could have.

tags technorati :

No comments: