Thursday, August 07, 2008

Atticus had promised me he would wear me out if he ever heard of me fightin' anymore.

I was far too old and too big for such childish things.

And the sooner I learned to hold in, the better off everybody would be. I soon forgot.


"Scout" - To Kill A Mockingbird
Tim's day camp sent him packing today, two weeks early, for far less noble reasons than Scout's.

Tim wasn't fightin' to protect a race's dignity ... or his father's honor. I think he fought from envy.

I had hoped he'd last until his birthday next week. Kids with summer birthdays need an official celebration, don't they? Like, on or near the day. I get touchy around birthdays. Last year, twenty classmates were invited to his party and one showed up. Two years ago, Tim got beat up on his birthday. These stories are sad enough to make you laugh, right?

He told me yesterday that he would sing the theme to The Monkees in this year's camp talent show next week. The theme music is among the many songs that I play when we drive in the car. He was very excited about it. I almost asked the division leader when he told me the news whether Timmy could participate in the talent show.

I feel as if I'm taking this too well. That I ought to push back a little, advocate for him as no one else seems to. I must be the only mother in Millstone who'd accept this sort of treatment of her kid from a day camp.

Two things set him off, I'm sure. First, the decision was made that kids couldn't bring Pokemon trading cards to camp. Kids were making bad trades and complaining. Camp is where my kids got into trading Pokemon cards and Tim enjoyed trading and playing the game. Second, the eight weeks of summer camp are informally split in two. Tim's small group added new campers during the second half and I think he had a problem adjusting to it, a larger group and new faces.

But, anyway, he's done. And over the next few days, it will sink in. Reflexive comments like, "My sandals are in my bin at camp. Oh, wait, they're right here." will condense and eventually disappear. And he may stop asking where's his older brother during the camp day.

No comments: