Friday, December 26, 2008

Alright, alright, Christmas haul ... I'll just mention the books:
  • The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition by Barclay M. Newman
  • Against the Protestant Gnostics by Philip J. Lee
  • Rereading Paul Together: Protestant and Catholic Perspectives on Justification by David E., Aune
  • Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate With Those Outside the Christian Community While We Still Can by Tim Downs
  • Blessed Are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord's Supper by Peter J. Leithart
  • Letter & Spirit, Vol. 2: The Authority of Mystery: The Word of God and the People of God by Scott Hahn
  • Honey from the Rock: An Introduction to Jewish Mysticism by Lawrence Kushner
Does each one have a story? Just about. I can't explain the first two, but Fr. Fitzmyer has an article in the third one.

The fourth one is by a CCC guy whom I heard speak in Philadelphia twenty years ago exactly. I still have the cassette tapes of his four addresses delivered that weekend. I started reading this book because it's the thinnest and I just wonder whether a daughter he mentions in the Intro is the same as he told us about that weekend. He writes fiction now. His website.

The fifth one I haven't received yet. A strange thing happened - this book was an Amazon gift from a family secret Santa but Amazon sent the Kushner book instead (listed last above). I contacted Amazon and they are sending the correct one. The next book in the list has an article by Pablo Gadenz and ... I just noticed ... a lead-off one from Fr. Dulles. So I might read this book after finishing Downs's book.

And the last one was sent me in error, as I said. It wasn't even on my wish list. It seems to me that I almost bought a commentary on the Torah by Kushner ... or maybe I did buy one! ... but Kabbalah isn't of interest to me.

No comments: