Saturday, May 12, 2007

As someone who doesn't know a P-51 from a PT-109, the last place you would expect to find me is at an air show.

Earlier in the week, a Warthog flew directly over our house, east to west, presumably on its way to McGuire AFB. I was standing outside with the HVAC contractor and we just looked at each other and he said, "Have you ever seen anything like that before?" And I answered, "No, it must be experimental."

Now, I've snapped together many of the planes we saw today, including the Mustang, as models for my boys. So, when the Nighthawk flew overhead, Kenny was able to recognize it.

When we drove onto the base, Kenny exclaimed, "I can't believe I'm on a real military base!" He was so thrilled. I said, "I bet you didn't know there was one so close to home."

Parking was well-managed. Security was reasonable, that is, the search was sufficient and the line moved satisfactorily. The secure area dedicated to the show was huge! The noise of the F-18's scared the younger boys so much. We spent two hours looking at the planes on display. Most of them were open so that visitors could enter and look around.

The Thunderbirds were supposed to begin at 3PM but didn't get underway until 3:45. That near hour of practical silence was enough time for Chris to curl up on a cushy blanket with a travel pillow and fall asleep. The Thunderbirds were amazing and worth the time and effort to see. My kids have a DVD of the Blue Angels but in person makes a lasting impression.

$40 in souvenirs. About 300,000 people are supposed to attend over the course of the weekend. Hopefully the air show will be an experience that my boys remember and talk about for some time.

"Security Tightened for Air Show at McGuire", Channel 6 Action News, ABC, WPVI Philadelphia

"Thousands Attend Air Show" - Courier-Post Online, 5/13/07

No comments: