Monday, May 07, 2007

"Does anyone know why this park is called 'Seven Presidents,'" the park naturalist began.

Kenny's hand shot up in reply; his was the only hand and I knew that he knew. I murmured in assurance to those parents around me, "Kenny knows this."

"Because seven presidents had their vacations here." The naturalist was surprised that he knew. It didn't seem like a difficult question.

Chris was too chatty to sit for the presentation, so he and I stepped outside. I watched the presentation through a window but couldn't hear anything.

Afterwards, several parents and his teacher complimented me on Kenny's intelligent answers. I noticed that, at first, the naturalist was reluctant to call on Kenny, wanting to give other children a chance. But, when she saw that no other children were really ready to answer, calling on Kenny kept the presentation moving along. Eventually, he even won her and her teaching partner over and, though I couldn't hear the discussion, it seemed quite lively and involved.

I used to worry that, after all these years, his fellow students just let him answer, knowing that he will, without bothering to give it another thought. But, he has some really smart classmates, too, and when they know the answer, they volunteer it. So, he isn't shutting anyone down. He isn't your typical know-it-all kid in that he isn't competitive about what he knows. He truly wants to inform others. Showing off doesn't enter his mind.

The field trip was a joint one with the second grade, and his teacher was pleased that her class could hold their own. Even the second grade teacher, whom Kenny may have next year, felt compelled to say a word to me about Kenny's sustained interest. That much I could tell through the window: that Kenny was alert and engaged for the entire hour while the focus of the other children waxed and waned.

There was time spent on the beach, collecting shells, a picnic lunch and time on the playground before returning to school.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we have the best county parks in NJ!

No comments: