Sunday, May 20, 2007

Since I blog about it, you might think I support it, Christians switching denominations. But, while the various reasons given may interest me, I think leaving one for another is hardly ever warranted.

Yet, folks continue to do it, by leaps and bounds, and make their stories public and I read and try to make sense from it.

So, there's another one at "Right Reason," that ol' weblog for conservative philosophers. Ho'boy. By way of Amy Welborn. No, I'm not a regular reader.

He writes some interesting things:
As a Lutheran, I’ve never thought of myself as “Protestant.”

Insofar as I accepted a form of ‘sola scriptura’, it took the form of insisting that all doctrines must have their source in the Scriptures as interpreted by the Church, or in the universal practices and teaching of the early church. This is the only sort of “sola scriptura” principle that can hold up to logical scrutiny, since the Scriptures themselves provide no definition of the canon and no clear statement of any sola-scriptura principle (both of these can be found only in the Fathers and Councils).

Extreme sola-scripturism is, given these facts, self-refuting.

Please bear in mind also the distinction between the reality of justification and our theological theories about that reality.

I urge my Protestant brethren to remember, before making any judgments about the state of my soul, that sinners are justified by trusting in Jesus and not by believing a theory of justification.

No comments: