Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"Don't let the kids use the stairs tonight."

"Oh, no? How come, because they are simply held in place with 2 by 4's?"

For builder's grade, the stairs are rather nice. I guess AJ Stairs does decent work. I had my concerns after interacting with their salesman. He kept shifting his price based on ... um ... nothing substantial.

I went to the "home office" a couple of weeks ago to ascertain the vendor's commitment and expertise. While waiting to talk with store management, I fell into a deep conversation with another customer who was there to pick up materials. He was rather ticked that he was sold, in his words, an "incomplete stair system," one that failed inspection. He needed a gripable handrail and he wanted it on the house.

The difference is that he installed his himself. In our case, if it doesn't pass code, our contractor will make it right. Our architect specified something other than the salesman provided, so we too may need more!

No comments: