Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Has this ever happened to you - a favorite credit card warps from being inside a hot car?

Increasingly, merchants' card readers had difficulty retrieving data from the magnetic strip. Several asked me whether I put the card through the washer and dryer.

No, I'm not a man, I don't carry my wallet in my back pocket, thank you.

I called Citibank for a replacement card which they promptly sent.

Within a day of being in my car, the new card also melted, not as severely but a merchant has already had trouble swiping it.

Two things I can do ...
  1. wait until the weather cools off before requesting a second replacement card ... if they'll even honor that request! ... and
  2. insert this card magnetic strip down (iow, upside down) in my wallet so it's less likely to warp when it gets hot.
Universal Cards especially, they just don't make 'em like they used to!

No comments: