Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jim handed out a review of Benedict's book tonight from NCR ... you can read the review online until, uh, Monday when the free service turns subscription only.

I faltered at the review's first line:
This book is elegantly written ...
... because, uh, the book's a translation.

Is the reviewer cracking a joke?

"Maybe Fr. O'Leary read the original German version," Jim offered. A teacher of English lit in Japan ... uh, no, this is a review of the English version.

Ratzinger has been blessed with able, faithful translators over the years. Fr. O'Leary might here be acknowledging those unsung wordsmiths. Since those few are the last kind words he has to say in his review of the book, there's all the more reason to consider whom he intends to praise.

Jim shamed me somewhat into buying the book. It happened like this: he admitted that he hadn't read it yet and asked me whether I had. No, no, of course not. Secretly fearing I won't understand it. Without reading the rest of Fr. O'Leary's review, I ran out and got it, along with some other conservative books. When in Rome ... or rather Howell.

Then I read the rest of the review and kicked myself. The book is as I suspected. Naturally I avoided it. There's no surprise ending, no plot twist. WYSIWYG. The only thing ... it's way SMALLER than I expected. Thin and small all 'round. Did I buy the Compendium by mistake?! I guess things just look bigger on blogs.

The final sentences from Fr. O'Leary's review:

"If Benedict is right, a whole century of New Testament scholarship will have to be radically corrected and largely jettisoned.

For most readers of Benedict’s book this will be received as an immense liberation, a recovery of the fullness of Christ in every page of scripture, but for critical exegetes and theologians it is more likely to induce gnashing of teeth and the sense of doors being locked."


Deus avertat!

2 comments:

Matt said...

I'm working my way through it now. It is beautiful. Did you really avoid the book? Why? I can't believe you are really locked into one lonely point of view.

Moonshadow said...

Did I really avoid the book? Um, yes. Yes, I did. Just because I shun what's trendy, semper et ubique.

I skimmed parts of his Principles of Catholic Theology. It's an impressive, extremely well-written book that's also finely translated.

As a rule, I become disturbed when I find myself agreeing with everything an author - any famous author - writes. I begin to wonder whether I'm not simply superimposing my own thoughts. I can be too like C. S. Lewis's father who "could never empty, or silence, his own mind to make room for an alien thought" (C. S. Lewis, Surprised By Joy, 184)!

I try to break out, "broaden my horizons," "hear the other side" (that's a great quote, I love it, Matt!), take risks, suspend disbelief and try things on. But deep down, all that requires humility and I'm a product of my circumstances. There's only so far my fledgling imagination can take me.

Reading Benedict's book isn't likely to change any of that. I have the book now, at least. That's more than I can say before Thursday night.

Shame is a wonderful motivator for the prideful - I think my bible study leader knows that!

Happy Feast of the Archangels, Matt and thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.