Monday, September 10, 2007

I couldn't find this online, so I typed it in ... a letter to the editor of Christianity Today:
Like Professor Beckwith, I too will cast my lot with Rome ["Leaving for Rome," July].

Protestantism's weakness on the role of tradition, ... and the cumulative arguments of Catholicism add up to a more complete Christianity.

I shall always value my evangelical heritage, but after reading Joseph Ratzinger's latest book, Jesus of Nazareth, and Yves Congar's The Meaning of Tradition, one is compelled to be Catholic as the fullest expression of the Christian faith. - Henry Flood, Aventura, FL
Those same editors affixed the dubious title "A Fuller Christianity?" to his letter.

"To cast one's lot" is an apt way to describe it; I imagine such a switch carries mixed emotions. Note his care to refer to Benedict in completely "lay" terms, even though the book in question was published during his pontificate.

And wasn't Congar on the wrong side of things at one time? Now he's making converts.

No comments: