Sunday, September 23, 2007

Where are those all-in-one "communion kits" anymore?

Black for boys, white for girls: mass book with rosary and scapular?

All I could find for him was this corny, flimsy thing. It's got "waited 'til the last minute" written all over it.

Trouble is now, he thinks it's neat. How can I swap it with something more substantial? Besides, anything really real would intimidate him at his age.

... to God our savior,
who wills everyone to be saved
and to come to knowledge of the truth.

I helped him follow along. So many of the prayers aren't in this little book.

I'm trying to appreciate it from his perspective, trying to recall my own impressions from the same age.

On the positive side, he likes singing; he always has.

The closing song is, as I told him, a favorite of his grandma. I've heard her sing it! Very easy for him to pick up, then and there. He sang it as we walked to our car.

He made me promise, for next Sunday, to sit where he can see the clock that hangs on a wall in the sacristy.

And he still asks me to take him back to that Baptist church! He so takes after his grandma ... !

"This little light o' mine, I'm gonna let it shine ..."

tags technorati :

No comments: