Saturday, March 15, 2008

I've had a Byrds song stuck in my head since Wednesday.

I caught myself singing it yesterday morning as I took my son's suitcase to the car before school.

He called this morning from, he thinks, South Carolina. In this age of text messaging, I don't feel too out of touch with him. After a quick 'hi' to me, he wanted to talk with his brothers. The call got dropped in under five minutes.

He wished us "Happy Easter" about a million times before he left. I understand that Catholic churches are off the beaten Disney trail, so I asked his chaperons to do what they would normally do on Sundays, without giving Kenny any extraordinary consideration.1 I was as clear with them as I could be that he hasn't any dietary restrictions, either for health or religious reasons.

Heck, I'm expecting pictures in a day or two!


1 This is the kid who came out of his religious education class on Tuesday evening proclaiming to me, with great boldness, that he can't eat meat on Friday!

I told him not to be such a moron, which, I see, at his age is a compliment. Then I asked him if he got this information from his religious ed. teacher, and he wasn't sure where he heard it.

I still might have to talk with the director about it because my friend, whose daughter attends St. Rose, says the teachers there encourage the second graders to abstain and fast. I find that absurd. NJ Catholics are so weird.

tags technorati :

No comments: