Thursday, March 13, 2008

Out at lunch discussing birthday plans, a 20-year old song cuts clear through the conversation and throws us all back to our college days.

"Back when you could get away with mixing Christ & Marx."

I must have the CD 'round here someplace because the album's songs are all in iTunes.

Find the CD?

Tinker with iPod-to-go?

Or burn a blank CD with The Housemartins's songs? Would you believe that's the easiest?! Ho, but the car's CD-changer's full!

The album contains a cover of a Hollies song. And I had a cassette of the Hollies Greatest Hits as a kid, so I knew all those songs, backwards and forwards. And would you believe, in the Wawa tonight, buying milk, I hear on the muzak, "I'll pay you back with interest ..."

But the song that's really stuck in my head got there yesterday. Philly's WHYY doesn't reach over to Shrewsbury where I was for an appointment, so I surfed the dial and picked up Brookdale's college station. It could have been Tom Petty but my radio's display said, "The Byrds" ... And I'll probably feel a whole lot better when you're gone ...

Back to The Housemartins: his voice is just great, especially in a song like this.

tags technorati :

No comments: